The Smoky Hill Museum explores history in unexpected ways, with interactive fun around every corner. It’s a big-city museum in a small package intentionally designed to make kids eager to stay longer, and adults want to come back for more.
Kimberly: Great little museum! Visited with my boys, 8 and 6, while camping at Kanopolis. We spent 3 hrs here and only 3 because they were closing! The tornado exhibit is really cool and was enjoyed by all 3 of us. My 8 yr old loved the log cabin. Definitely recommend stopping if you're in the area!
Do you have a story to tell about your visit? Share here.
The Smoky Hill Museum is excited to announce that the 1921 oil painting "Smoky River," by Lindsborg, KS artist Birger Sandzén, is now on display in the Museum’s gallery. The painting, accepted into the City of Salina’s public art collection by city commissioners during the December 11, 2023 meeting, was a generous donation by the Karen Hale Young Family, who acquired "Smoky River" ... more
The Smoky Hill Museum has again achieved accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM), the highest national recognition afforded the nation’s museums. Accreditation signifies excellence to the museum community, to governments, funders, outside agencies, and to the museum-going public. More...
Whether it’s yesteryear or yesterday, we want your stories about the Smoky Hill River! The Smoky Hill Museum and the Friends of the River Foundation are gathering stories, memories and information to inform educational programming and the guided historical walks coming soon with the new trails. All stories are welcome, be they fond, funny, troubling, informational or odd. If you have old photos of the Smoky Hill River, we’d love them too! Click here and use the form to share your story.
The Smoky Hill Museum has an exciting announcement. The Friends of the Museum have a new partner, Ad Astra Books and Coffee House, located at 135 N Santa Fe. Thanks to this new partnership, Friends Members now receive 20% off food, beverages and books at Ad Astra (excludes gifts and consignment items.)
To celebrate this new partnership, you are invited to a special Friends of the Smoky Hill Museum Night at Ad Astra on May 22 from 7-8 pm. This event will introduce you to what it means to be a Friend of the Museum . There will be sweets and drinks plus, a special prize basket.
All Friends enjoy the following benefits:
• 20% off each food, beverage and book order at Ad Astra Books & Coffee House by showing your membership card (excludes gifts and consignment items);
• a one-time coupon for a 20% discount on any regularly priced item in the Museum Store;
• 10% off regularly priced merchandise in the Museum Store each time you show your membership card;
• special announcements and invitations to educational programs, activities and exhibit openings;
• a free subscription to the Heritage Express newsletter.
Check out the following:
• Check out past exhibits in the special Online Exhibits section.
• Access Exhibit handouts featuring such topics as the Indian Burial Pit and the Battle of Indian Rock.
• Like crosswords or word searches? Check out the Fun & Games page.
• Educators can enhance their lessons with free video presentations. Check out the topics available in the Educational Lending Library.